A radio interview (WERA-LP, Arlington) on India’s Covid Crisis.
Some articles and opinion writings:
- Joshi, Shareen. “What attempts to measure India’s caste system get wrong“. The Diplomat. August 25 (2021).
- Joshi, Shareen. “Poverty may be Covid-19’s legacy in India“. East Asia Forum. July 15 (2021).
- Joshi, Shareen. “Funeral pyres should not be the symbol of India’s Covid crisis“. CNN Opinion. June 2 (2021).
- Joshi, Shareen. “Scientific data was India’s strength in the fight with polio and leprosy. In Covid, it’s a silent victim” The Print (India), May 10 (2021).
- Joshi, Shareen, Daniel Li Chen, Sandeep Bhupatiraju and Peter Neis, “Who is in Justice? Caste, religion and gender in the courts of Bihar over a decade“. World Bank Blogs (April 2021). Published online.
- Joshi, Shareen and Jacques Berlinerblau. “Modi’s India: Optical neoliberalism in! Secularism out!“, Culturico, March 17 (2021).
- Joshi, Shareen. “Deadly week of caste violence could portend Indian election upheaval” Axios, April 11 (2018).
- Joshi, Shareen. “Namami Gange – The Newest Policy for a Persistent Unholy Mess?” India In Transition. Center for the Advanced Study of India (CASI), University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia March 26 (2018). This article also appeared in the Hindu Business Line and in a Hindi language newspaper called Amar Ujala.
- Joshi Shareen and Hardayal Singh. “India’s Twin Balance Sheet Problem“. India Ink.
- Joshi, Shareen and Hardayal Singh. “Reforms In India: Experience Shows Success Is Achieved Only When There Is An Emergency,” Financial Express of India (July 6, 2017). Published in print and online.
- Joshi, Shareen and Hardayal Singh. “Reforming The Civil Services: One of the Last Vestiges of our Colonial Legacy,” Financial Express of India (August 3, 2017). Published in print and online.
- Do, Quy Toan, Shareen Joshi, and Sam Stolper. “When does pollution policy work? The water quality and infant mortality impacts of Mehta vs. Union of India”, World Bank Blogs (October 2016). Published online.
- Joshi, Shareen. “The Hard Road to Lowering Maternal Mortality”, Georgetown Journal of International Relations, April 25 (2016). Published online.
- Joshi, Shareen “Ganga Pollution Cases: Impact on Infant Mortality,” Ideas for India (2016). Published Online.
- Ideas for India, “How effective is the Janani Suraksha Yojana“, December (2014).
- Joshi, Shareen. “Maternal and Child Health in India: What is the Role of Policy?” International Affairs Forum. Vol. 4.1 (2013): 40-44.
- Desai, Raj M., and Shareen Joshi. “India’s Protests as a Social `Stress Test’.” Brookings Institution Blog October 5 (2012). Published Online.
- Joshi, Shareen. “A Research Agenda: Religion, Gender and Economic Development in South Asia”, Berkeley Center for Religion, Peace and World Affairs, January 1 (2008). Published in print and online.
Media Coverage of my work:
- The Print, “Are Dalit women less or more mobile than upper caste women in India? Jatis hold the answer.” August 9 (2018).
- Hindustan Times, “We need a better understanding of intra-caste inequalities“, August 6 (2018).
- The Print, “Address jati, and not just caste, to fix rural welfare schemes like MGNREGA“, August 4 (2018).
- LiveMint, “How economic inequality affects caste politics“, July 25 (2018).
- Inter American Development Bank blog, “Researchers Rally to Combat Pollution and Disease“, October (2016).